Glass index of refraction
1. Place the plate glass on paper and shine the laser through the plate glass at an angle. Large incidence angle (large to the normal) yields the best results.
2. Now record on the paper the laser beam positions and the plate glass position. Include also the reflected beam as well as the beam that passes through the plate.
- On the paper, sketch/label in details such as incident,
reflected and refracted beams. Outline/label the plate glass. Make it obvious on the paper what was happening.
- Measure the angles of reflection and refraction with a protractor on the paper sketch
- Determine the index of refraction for the glass plate.
- Is there any difference between the exit angle compare to the entry angle.
- Is there any difference between the reflected angle with the incident angle
- Is it more accurate to measure angles to the normal or to the surface. Which do the equations use?