Textbook reference: section on Snell's law
1. What is the index of refraction for glass, water and plastic (the values)?
2. Describe what difference it makes to index of refraction with the color of light that is used?
- Is the index for red light larger, smaller or the same as for blue light?
- Is the angle of refraction (i.e. the angle calculated from Snell's law) of red light larger, smaller or the same as for blue light?
3. Sunlight enters a lake of polluted water on an angle. Determine the index of refraction of the polluted water (which is different than pure water) from the angle that sunlight makes on going into a lake.
Start by drawing a diagram of light entering the water on an angle and indicate what angles are measured. Then write down Snell's law with the symbols used on your diagram. Finally solve for water index of refraction using symbols and the known index of refraction of air.